2. kickin' habits

Discover a few pointers from lifelong learners and learn how to nurture your own learning process.

Of the 7.5 habits described in this section, the easiest for me is taking responsibility for my own learning. If there's something I need to know, I'm usually all over it—and the instructors tasked with helping me. I've never had a hard time asking tough questions of teachers, and will even critique elements of a class I think aren't working well for me or other learners. While some teachers doubtless regard me as a pain in the rear, I like to think of my healthy skepticism as ultimately constructive.

The hardest habit for me is setting realistic goals at the outset of learning something. Especially when dealing with technology, my learning goals seem to change by the minute. It's not just that the Web is changing quickly these days. It's that the tools for accessing and manipulating it are also changing. That sometimes means learning new tools to do old tasks.

Consequently, my learning plans are often derailed by technical glitches that don't have immediate solutions. For example, while viewing the tutorial for this section, my computer suddenly lost its connection to the Internet. Restoring it took several hours (thanks, Vista!), which caused me to postpone finishing this unit by a couple of days.

It's worth noting, however, that a habit I do a fairly good job with is seeing obstacles as challenges. Rather than wait for answers at the first sign of trouble, I'm more likely to search for the solution on my own.

In an interesting aside, my first assignment in Maryland's Library Associate Training Institute (LATI) last year asked that we select a quote that reflects our beliefs about learning. It was a good jumping off point because it forced us to stop and take stock of how we best get things done. I selected a quote by Teddy Roosevelt, reflecting a belief that my most effective learning is experiential.

Since then I've realized that organization is also a crucial part of my leaning style. It's important to me to have the various tools and information I need at my fingertips, and that sometimes requires that I spend time getting organized.

For reference, I've reproduced the habits below.

Seven and 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners
  1. Begin with a specific goal in mind. Then develop a plan to acheive that goal.

  2. Accept responsibility for your own learning. Take charge of your own experience.

  3. View problems as challenges. Obstacles offer opportunities and motivation to learn.

  4. Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner.

  5. Create your own learning toolbox.

  6. Use technology to your advantage. It's supposed to make life easier.

  7. Teach and mentor others.
7.5. Play!