13. papa's got a brand new tag

Learn about tagging and discover del.icio.us.

I've been using del.icio.us for a while, but recently moved many of my tags into one central account.

I've identified a few drawbacks to working with del.icio.us. One is that many of my subject labels overlap, so a number of my tags appear in multiple subject lists, which makes some of the lists very long. Finding specific links is becoming more difficult with each link I add. Using the "bundling" function makes it even harder to locate stuff.

Another drawback is that you can't alphabetize links within a subject list, as you can alphabetize the subject list itself. Again, this impacts how quickly I can find individual links.

To find what I need I generally use the search field, though I sometimes have to try different spellings of what I need, and the search doesn't use partial entries to find longer ones. For example, searching on "novel" fails to bring up my link for Time magazine's top 100 Novels, whereas searching on "novels" does. I also wish the search field default was set to "my bookmarks" rather than all of del.icio.us, because I have to change that every time.

It's interesting to see how many other people have bookmarked the things I have. I couldn't help by notice that no one has any of my blogs bookmarked. Should I be unhappy about that?